référence : http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/commissions/cjc/arc/obsdoc/2004-09/msg00001.html
     Chronologie
     Conversation

[obsdoc] European Conference on Ethnic Minorities in Science Réza Samadi

From: Franck Marchis <fmarchis@berkeley.edu>
Subject: Fwd: [mcfa-int] European Conference on Ethnic Minorities in Science
and Higher  Education (fwd)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:27 -0700

Begin forwarded message:
    >> Dear Colleagues,
    >> =A0
    >> I would like to draw your attention to the
    >>
    >> European Conference on Ethnic Minorities in Science and Higher=20
    >> Education
    >>
    >> to be held at the Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik on 15-16 October
    >> 2004.
    >>
    >> Details can be found in the attached Word document. If you would like=20=

    >> participate or receive more information about the conference, please
    >> contact directly Ms Elizabeth Rasekoala <lizrasekoala@hotmail.com> who=20=

    >> is
    >> one of the organisers (not me!!).
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >> Dagmar=

Invitation

International Conference

Ethnic Minorities in Science and Higher Education
A Human Resource Development Challenge
to Present and Future European Union Member States

Date:
15 - 16 October 2004

Venue:
Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik

Organisers:

Austrian Science and Research Liaison Office Ljubljana and Sofia
African Caribbean Network of Science and Technology (ACNST), UK

Background:

As a matter of fact societies in European states are heterogeneous regarding
ethnic origin. Reasons for this being historic (for instance denomination of
political boundaries between emerging nation states through ethnically mixed
territories of disintegrated former multiethnic empires) as well as
contemporary (migration flows of asylum seekers or economically motivated
migration, etc.). The fact of European societies being multiethnic demands the
special attention of policy makers in several fields of social life in order
To secure the access of the minority population to university education,
science and research and
To best utilise the human resource pool not only of the majority population
but also of ethnic minorities which should be regarded as a huge reservoir of
human potential within the framework of "inclusive" and "multicultural"
societies in Europe.

Goals and structure of the conference:

The conference aims to raise awareness of the challenges that science and
higher education policy makers are facing, regarding the better utilisation of
the human resources of ethnic minorities in the fields of science and
research. The conference will provide a forum for detailed discussion of
concrete measures developed to promote inclusion of members of ethnic
minorities in the fields of science/research and higher education and also
mechanisms to prevent inter-ethnic tensions and conflict.

The conference organisers aim to contribute to science policy development on
two levels:
Contribution to development of inclusive science and higher education policies
in SEE countries (especially ex-Yugoslav countries) through facilitating
exchange of know-how in the region as well as from EU member states to the region
Contribution to the advancement of the European Commission's "Science and
Society" programme

An important reference and rich knowledge base for achieving these aims is the
network of the EU funded project "ETHNIC" (RAISING PUBLIC AWARENESS OF SCIENCE
& TECHNOLOGY AMONG ETHNIC MINORITIES, www.bit.ac.at/ethnic), which will be
presented at the conference and could be a starting point for specific
follow-up activities.

Programme outline:

Friday, October 15th, 10.00am, IUC Dubrovnik

Opening session

Dr. Anneliese Stoklaska, Head of the Department for International Research
Co-operation, Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Culture
(requested)
Prof. Dr. Helmut Moritz (President of the International League of Humanists,
Srajavo and former President of the Inter-university Centre Dubrovnik, Prof.
Emeritus. University of Graz)
Dr. Miroslav Polzer (ASO Ljubljana)
Dr. Elisabeth Rasekoala, African-Caribbean Network for Science and Technology,
United Kingdom

Panel I - EU and regional SEE dimension

Dr. Rainer Gerold / Director of the Directorate for Science and Society,
Research Directorate-General, European Commission, Brussels/EU (requested)

Dr. Edvard Kobal, Director of the Slovenian Science Foundation and member of
the EU Committee for Programme Configuration 'Science and Society'  (requested)

Prof. Dr. Mitja agar, Director of the Institute of Ethnic Studies,
Ljubljana/Slovenia and former Head of the Task force "Ethnic minorities and
human rights" of the Stability Pact for SEE (requested)

Dr. Howard Moore, Director of UNESCO ROSTE (Regional Office for Science and
Technology in Europe), Venice/Italy (requested)

Discussion

Panel II - country/region reports (AT, UK, SLO, BG, etc.) and Status quo in
SEE countries (CRO, BIH, S&M, Albania, FYROM)

Slovenia: Alenka Pavlovec, Ministry of Education, Science and Sports, Head of
Unit for Ethnic Minority Education (requested)
Croatia: Jadranka Huljev Ministry of Education, Science and Sports, Head of
Unit for Ethnic Minority Education (requested)
FYROM: Marija Milosevska (Head of Science for Peace Department, Ministry of
Education and Science - Republic of Macedonia), (requested)
Open Society Mentorship Project for Roma in Macedonia
Kosovo: Mrs. Aferdita Spahiu, Head of Education Unit, UNICEF Kosovo
BG _Roma

Discussion

Saturday, 16th  09.00am - 2 pm, IUC

Panel III - Best practise cases studies and projects

Dr. Elisabeth Rasekoala, African-Caribbean Network for Science and Technology,
United Kingdom; ETHNIC- (Raising Public Awareness of Science and Technology
among Ethnic Minorities) project
Suzana Pecakovska, SOROS Foundation, Skopje, Project on Mentoring of Roma in
Higher Education in Macedonia
Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)- Mozaek/Mosaic
Programme: How to attract more ethnic minority graduates into academic
research - Dutch experience
Brian Wardle, Senior Adviser, Birmingham Education Authority, UK
Svjetski univerzitetski servis Bosne i Hercegovine - contribution of NGOs to
inter-ethnic co-operation in Bosnia and Herzegovina
N.N: ZSI Vienna; LIMITS-project: Immigrants and Ethnic Minorities in European
Cities - Causal factors that influence the evolving strategies of immigrants
and their descendants towards improving their personal well-being.

Panel IV - Suggestions for future activities in the "Science and
Society-Programme" of EU

Travel and accommodation costs of paper presenters will be covered by the
organisers; costs of participants not presenting papers can be covered by
organisers on request.

Proceedings of the conference will be published

Links:

Austrian Science and Research Liaison Offices Ljubljana and Sofia: www.aso.zsi.at
Videos-on-demand of a presentation of ETHNIC project at the international
conference "Science and Society in an Enlarged EU" in April 2004 in the
Slovenian parliament:
http://www.hipulab.uni-mb.si/Znanost_in_Druzba_AN/Znanost_in_Druzba_ANGL.htm
African-Caribbean Network for Science & Technology:  www.ishangohouse.com

Conference Organisers contact details:

Dr. Miroslav Polzer, ASO Ljubljana: miro.polzer@uni-lj.si
Dr. Elizabeth Rasekoala, ACNST, UK: lizrasekoala@hotmail.com

This conference is being supported by the Austrian Federal Ministry of
Education, Science and Culture in the framework of its SEE science cooperation
initiative.

Liste OBSDOC de la Commission Jeunes Chercheurs (CJC) :
OBSDOC E-mail   : mailto:obsdoc@opserv.obspm.fr
OBSDOC Archives : http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/commissions/cjc/arc/obsdoc/
CJC E-mail : mailto:Commission.Jeunes-Chercheurs@obspm.fr
CJC URL    : http://www.obspm.fr/cjc