référence : http://wwwsio.obspm.fr/commissions/cjc/arc/obsdoc/2003-09/msg00009.html
     Chronologie
       Conversation

[obsdoc] Ph.D. Position =?ISO-8859-15?Q?R=E9za_Samadi?=

Open Ph.D. Position
A new 3-years-period position for a Ph.D. student is available within the VW
Junior Research Group ``Kinematic Evolution of Galaxies'' at the University
Observatory of Göttingen, Germany.
Our group exists since 2001 and current co-workers are one postdoc and three
Ph.D. students. Within the cosmological context of galaxy formation and
evolution our research focuses on observational studies of distant galaxies.
Methods mainly applied use multi-object spectroscopy facilities at the new
10m-class telescopes and high-resolution images gained with the Hubble space
telescope to determine the kinematics and morphology of the galaxies. In
particular, we address the question of galaxy interactions and possible galaxy
transformation in groups and clusters.
Göttingen has guaranteed observing time at the Hobby-Eberly Telescope in
Texas, the Southern African Large Telescope and for the future wide-field
camera OmegaCAM at the European Southern Observatory on Paranal. It has access
to all ESO, ESA (including HST, XMM, Chandra and SOFIA), Calar Alto and
McDonald observatory facilities. We exploit a modern PC-Linux network and have
regular access to IBM parallel computers.
Students interested in our research should send me an application comprising a
curriculum vitae, copies of university records, and a letter of
recommendation. Some experience with spectroscopy will be an asset.
The deadline for the application is October, 31st, 2003.
Decisions will be made in November and it is intended that the Ph.D. position
will start January 1st, 2004, at the latest. Salary is based on German federal
public service scales (BAT IIa/2) amounting to about 30,000 EUR per year
depending on age and marital status. It includes health insurance, a pension
scheme etc. The University of Göttingen operates an equal opportunities
employment policy.
Please send your application until October 31st, 2003, to:
Dr. Bodo Ziegler
UniversitÃ?tssternwarte
Geismarlandstr. 11
37083 Göttingen
Germany
or electronically by email to: bziegler@uni-sw.gwdg.de
For informal inquiries, please contact me by email, too.
This announcement can be found as well at http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~bziegler.

Liste OBSDOC de la Commission Jeunes Chercheurs (CJC) :
OBSDOC E-mail   : mailto:obsdoc@opserv.obspm.fr
OBSDOC Archives : http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/commissions/cjc/arc/obsdoc/
CJC E-mail : mailto:Commission.Jeunes-Chercheurs@obspm.fr
CJC URL    : http://www.obspm.fr/cjc